• News feed
  • Wales
  • Under 21
  • Under 19
  • Under 18
  • Under 17
  • Schoolboy

  • Players
  • Fixtures
  • Articles
  • Young Guns
  • Women
  • Search
  • Contact us

  •     www.newonline-casinos.co.uk
        betting sites
        craps strategy
        online bingo
        Welsh Football Scores

    Weekend round up - Saturday 15th March 2014

    Weekend Round up.
    Weekend player round up from Sophie Beresford.

    La Liga

    Gareth Bale played 90 minutes for Real Madrid, who beat Levante 3-0 at home. Bale didn't add to his collection of goals and assists, but his chances of lifting the La Liga trophy are looking good: Real are three points clear at the top of the table.


    Premier League

    Declan John played 90 minutes as part of Cardiff City's resolute defence, helped by a magnificent performance from Scotsman David Marshall. Nevertheless, despite a strong penalty shout, Cardiff found themselves on the losing side as Everton won 2-1 at home. This result leaves Cardiff in 19th place, 3 points from safety.


    Paul Dummett came agonisingly close to scoring with a free kick, but his team Newcastle United lost 1-0 at Fulham despite a strong penalty claim at the end of the match. This was Fulham's first league win in 10 games but they're now just four points from safety.


    James Collins was dropped to West Ham United's bench as they recorded their second consecutive away defeat. West Ham opened the scoring after just five minutes, but Stoke City struck back to win 3-1. West Ham were another losing team to have a penalty claim turned down. The score was 2-1 to Stoke at the time.


    Joe Ledley kept his place in Crystal Palace's starting line-up as they drew 0-0 at the Stadium of Light. Sunderland had chances to take the lead, but they were unable to add to their 3 home wins this season and Palace remain three points clear of the drop zone. Wayne Hennessey was an unused substitute for Palace.


    Ashley Williams and Ben Davies were in the starting line-up as Swansea City lost 2-1 at home to West Bromwich Albion. Swansea went ahead after 2 minutes and Williams could have made it two, but his header went narrowly over the bar and West Brom came back to take the points. Neil Taylor was on the bench for Swansea; Boaz Myhill was an unused substitute for West Brom.


    On Sunday, Joe Allen played 90 minutes as Liverpool gave their fans a great treat by winning 3-0 at Old Trafford. Allen won the second of three penalties (of which only the first two were scored) when he was fouled by Phil Jones. Liverpool are now four points from the top of the table with a game in hand.



    Shaun MacDonald was an unused substitute in Bournemouth's 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough. This brings Bournemouth's winning run to an end, but they're still unbeaten in four with four clean sheets. Middlesbrough might count themselves lucky to get a point at Bournemouth - they have never won there in the league.


    Sam Vokes faced one of his former loan sides when Burnley welcomed Leeds United to Turf Moor. Vokes didn't find the back of the net, but although Leeds took the lead on 27 minutes, Burnley came back to win 2-1. Burnley are now unbeaten in 14 in the league and ten points clear of the play-off places.


    Andy King was again an unused substitute when league leaders Leicester City faced Blackpool at home. Blackpool had recently ended a 19-match winless run with victory over Millwall, but we all know how good Leicester are. Although Blackpool took the lead in the first half, three late goals from Leicester sealed a 3-1 win.


    Steve Morison played 90 minutes as Millwall hosted relegation rivals Charlton Athletic, knowing a defeat would put them into the bottom three on goal difference. Millwall did manage to avoid defeat, but they couldn't find their way past a Charlton defence including Rhoys Wiggins. Charlton brought Simon Church off the bench for the last twelve minutes, but he had the same problem as Morison and the match finished 0-0.


    Danny Collins and David Cotterill kept their starting places as Doncaster Rovers faced Nottingham Forest. The match finished 0-0, leaving Doncaster without a win in 14 away matches. Home side Forest, meanwhile, have taken two points from their last six games and are in danger of dropping out of the play-off places.


    Tom Lawrence came very close to scoring from 25 yards out for Yeovil, but their trip to Queen's Park Rangers finished as almost everyone would have predicted: 3 points for the hosts. Yeovil might have got their hopes up when QPR keeper Rob Green went off injured on 68 minutes with his side just 1-0 ahead, but Yeovil found his replacement equally unbeatable and two more goals gave QPR a 3-0 win.


    Chris Gunter and Hal Robson-Kanu started for Reading in their home match against Derby County. Derby were without a win in three and this run continued – but with Reading's own form far from great, the points were shared in a 0-0 draw. Robson-Kanu was forced off with a hamstring problem; unused substitute Jake Taylor wasn't the man who replaced him.


    Emyr Huws has done well for Birmingham City since joining on loan from Manchester City, but you wouldn't think it from Birmingham's recent results. Their visit to Sheffield Wednesday resulted in a 4-1 thrashing and leaves Birmingham with just one win in their last seven games. Huws seemed to be involved in the majority of Birmingham's attacks, but he was mostly restricted to shots from range.


    Lewin Nyatanga got a rare start for Barnsley, but unfortunately they were playing at Watford, who had won their last five home games without conceding. Watford's run continued with a 3-0 victory, which sent Barnsley to the bottom of the table on goal difference.


    League One

    Lloyd James played 88 minutes for Leyton Orient as Brentford claimed both a 1-0 victory and the second automatic promotion place. Brentford went down to ten men early in the second half, but Orient were unable to find an equaliser. Orient are now two points behind Brentford, having played two more matches.


    Elliott Hewitt played in defence for Gillingham as they drew 1-1 at Bradford City. The two teams were promoted together last season and are now both in mid-table with 45 points. Bradford took the lead after just ten minutes, but Gillingham equalised early in the second half and are now unbeaten in three.


    Wes Burns was allegedly honoured by the attentions of Sheffield Wednesday last week, but the Wednesday scout went to Forest Green Rovers by mistake. Burns was approximately 23 miles away, preparing for Bristol City's home match against Swindon Town this weekend, a match which finished 0-0, despite Swindon going down to ten men. Burns made his customary substitute appearance. Swindon's Louis Thompson was shown an early yellow card – one of many in a feisty match – but stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes as Swindon extended their winless run to seven matches.


    Michael Doughty returned to Stevenage's starting line-up for their away match against relegation rivals Carlisle United and upset his manager when he nearly got an assist – for the wrong team. Doughty was joined on the pitch by team-mate Sam Wedgbury at half-time. Although the match finished goalless, Stevenage extended their unbeaten run to six games and are now just a point away from Carlisle – and safety.


    Joe Walsh helped Crawley Town to keep a clean sheet as they beat Colchester United 2-0 and kept their faint play-off hopes alive. Sanchez Watt, who is eligible for Wales and previously spent time on loan at Crawley, came close to what would have been a very welcome equaliser for Colchester.


    James Wilson came close to helping Oldham Athletic to a clean sheet and a much-needed three points against home side Crewe Alexandra, but a goal deep into stoppage time gave Crewe a 1-1 draw. This wasn't enough to lift Crewe out of the relegation zone or drop Oldham into it, but with one win in their last eight games and just 37 points, Oldham's position is looking precarious.


    Substitute Nicky Adams scored his first Rotherham United goal in the 89th minute to earn his side a 1-1 home draw against Walsall. Craig Morgan started for Rotherham, who are unbeaten in 12 games and 14 points ahead of 7th-placed Milton Keynes Dons.


    Jason Koumas was recently denied a second goal of the season for Tranmere Rovers when it was decided his recent effort against Oldham Athletic was an own goal. This time, he ensured the goal and the credit went to him when he equalised from long range against visitors Notts County. His team-mate Ash Taylor conceded a penalty for the second time this season, but Owain Fôn Williams was figuratively and literally on hand to save the penalty. Jake Cassidy completed Tranmere's Welsh contingent with 90 minutes of action as Tranmere picked up their first victory in four games.


    Joe Jacobson returned to Shrewsbury Town's starting line-up as they picked up a point at the home of Wolverhampton Wanderers in an 0-0 draw. Paul Parry came off the bench after 75 minutes; Dominic Smith was an unused substitute. Wolves, meanwhile, played a whole match without a single Welshman on the pitch for only the first time this season (excluding the Johnstone's Paint Trophy). This was also only the third match where there wasn't a Welshman on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. Lee Evans and former Shrewsbury man Dave Edwards were unused substitutes.


    On Sunday, Richard Duffy kept his place in defence for Port Vale as they faced one of his former clubs, Coventry City, and drew 2-2. Duffy helped to set up Port Vale's opening goal in just the first minute and they went 2-0 up fifteen minutes from the end, but two goals in the last ten minutes gave Coventry a share of the points.


    On Monday night, Kieron Freeman made his first start for Sheffield United as their 10-match winning run was ended by a 0-0 draw at Preston North End. Ben Davies was a half-time Sheffield United, replacing the injured Matthew Hill, who was himself a replacement for an injured player. Craig Davies was a late substitute for Preston, but still had time to come very close to grabbing a winner.


    League Two

    Darren Jones' first goal for Wimbledon gave them a point in stoppage time at Burton Albion. Like many stoppage time goals, it came after stoppage time was meant to have ended, and Burton's manager was as upset as any Premier League counterpart. Wimbledon look quite comfortable in mid-table, but are actually only six points outside the relegation zone with only one win from their last nine games.


    Troy Brown helped Cheltenham Town to keep a clean sheet in a 1-0 home victory over rock-bottom Torquay United. Torquay have lost six of their last eight games and are seven points adrift of safety. Connor Roberts was an unused substitute for Cheltenham.


    Chris Maxwell was in goal for Fleetwood Town as they beat Portsmouth 3-1. When Portsmouth joined the Premier League, Fleetwood were somewhere below the ninth tier. By next season, Fleetwood could be two divisions higher than Portsmouth. Daniel Alfei conceded a penalty for Portsmouth after failing to keep his hands to himself.


    Kaid Mohamed played 90 minutes for Bristol Rovers against Hartlepool United, but was unable to make the most of his chances and home side Hartlepool won 3-0. This leaves Bristol Rovers are just four points clear of trouble with one win from their last five games. Ellis Harrison was an unused substitute for Bristol Rovers.


    Lee Beevers was an unused substitute for Mansfield Town, who managed to hang on for a point at Northampton Town despite having a player sent off and conceding a penalty. Mansfield are five points clear of danger and have won one of their last five.


    Christian Ribeiro was an unused substitute for Scunthorpe as they extended their club record unbeaten run to 21 games. They won 2-0 away at Plymouth Argyle, who could be joining Scunthorpe in League Two next season: they're one point outside the play-off places with a game in hand.


    Freddy Eastwood started for Southend United for the first time since September in their home match against Bury. Sadly, Eastwood didn't score his sixth goal of the season (and first since October) and Southend's winless run was extended to eleven matches with a 0-0 draw. Southend remain in the play-off places, but only just. Bury are on a comparatively meagre winless run of four matches.


    On Sunday, David Pipe and Andrew Hughes started for Newport County in their home match against Exeter City. Exeter took the lead through a second-half own goal, but Newport struck back a minute later and the match finished 1-1. Mike Flynn and Aaron Amadi-Holloway made substitute appearances for Newport, with striker Amadi-Holloway playing in defence. Loanee Eliot Richards played 90 minutes for Exeter; Arron Davies was an unused substitute. Both sides have won just one of their last 14 matches.



    On Friday night, Adam Matthews played 90 minutes for Celtic as they beat Kilmarnock 3-0 away. A Matthews miskick gave Kilmarnock the chance to opening the scoring, but they declined the opportunity and Matthews made up for his error by setting up Celtic's second goal.


    On Sunday, Marley Watkins helped Inverness Caledonian Thistle to take Aberdeen to extra time in the Scottish League Cup Final. The match finished 0-0, but Aberdeen won 4-2 on penalties. Watkins didn't take one as he was substituted in the 80th minute.

    Comments (0)
    Posted: Wednesday 19th March 2014
    mail: (optional)

    Your comments:

    smile wink wassat tongue laughing sad angry crying 

    Content Management Powered by CuteNews